fiddlehead definition


fid·dle·head [ fídd'l hèd ] (plural fid·dle·heads) noun
Definition: edible fern shoot: the coiled frond of a young fern, often cooked and eaten as a delicacy

Monday, May 3, 2010

King of Pops


I have been hearing so much about The King of Pops handmade popsicles that I ventured to the adorable Irwin Street Market to try one. My mouth began watering as I read the flavors tangerine basil, grapefruit mint... I don't know what I expected, but I wasn't expecting flavors in my wheel house. I tried the grapefruit mint and it knocked my socks off (well, I was wearing flip flops). It tasted like grapefruit and mint. It didn't taste like a version of grapefruit and mint. It tasted just like eating the citrusy tart fruit only it was refreshingly cold and didn't spray at me as my spoon hit its fleshy parts.

Reading up on creator, Steven Carse, made me smile as much as the popsicle did. The popsicles are handcrafted, emphasizing natural, local and organic ingredients. In addition to the Irwin Street Market, the popsicles can be found at Souper Jenny's and a cart at the corner of Highland and North Ave. Steven is the nicest guy. I watched him work in the kitchen and was truly amazed by his one man show creating such a delicacy.

Some of his flavors: Grapefruit Mint
Lime w/ fresh squeezed cane juice
Pineapple Ginger
Strawberry Margarita
green apple lemonade (I think there was a mix-up with this because it tasted like apple pie)
tangerine basil
chocolate seasalt
grapefruit mint (my favorite)
mango mojito (fleshy bits of stringy mango-in a good way- and lots of mint)
blackberry lemongrass
strawberries and cream (fresh bits of strawberry)
Strawberry Orange
honeydew watermelon
Hibiscus
lemon lavender
Mexican chocolate
watermelon blueberry

1 comment:

  1. thanks petitchef! I love the site. I was instantly drawn to the lavender flan recipe

    ReplyDelete