fiddlehead definition


fid·dle·head [ fídd'l hèd ] (plural fid·dle·heads) noun
Definition: edible fern shoot: the coiled frond of a young fern, often cooked and eaten as a delicacy

Monday, April 19, 2010

Bording Pass Shiraz


Not only did the whimsical packaging entice me to impulse buy this wine, but the little review taped to the bin read "...and notes of bacon or smoked meat." It's on. How could a libation have a great review with a bouquet of blueberries AND bacon? I was intrigued to say the least.

I was a little leery to open such a gimmicky wine and expected it to be a victim of great packaging per usual. The first pour revealed a dense, almost inky red color. I did faintly smell the roasted meat scent I read in a preview. Interesting.

The wine was delicious and layered with jammy bacony flavor. It just doesn't sound right to write that, but it worked. The finish was short but as I sipped, I got more mineral notes (which I love) and even cocoa. It contains 5% Viognier which gave its density a floral lift.

No comments:

Post a Comment