fiddlehead definition


fid·dle·head [ fídd'l hèd ] (plural fid·dle·heads) noun
Definition: edible fern shoot: the coiled frond of a young fern, often cooked and eaten as a delicacy

Thursday, January 5, 2012

A New Turn in the South by Hugh Acheson


Hugh has been working on and talking excitedly about this book for quite a while. I picked mine up at his book release party at Empire State South on October 18th and couldn't wait to dig in. My first impression: so friendly and approachable. I know, sounds like a peculiar way to describe a book but the 120 recipes inside are presented in a style akin to a relative explaining a family recipe how-to.

The first item of business in the book is to lay out his approach to food and what is most important to him. local first
sustainable second
organic last
 Get a copy here on Hugh's Open Sky page

The photography by Rinne Allen is gorgeous and Hugh's doodles throughout add whimsy and charm. Unlike most cookbooks, I read it cover to cover. I have another cookbook like this, one of Irish recipes.  When I brought it home and began to read, I made a cup of Irish breakfast tea and cozied up under a blanket.  The writing and ingredients transported me to the foggy seaside and heathered hills.  A New Turn in the South really puts into words the spirit of the south with innovative, yet simple recipes. It's not fussy but it's new--seasonal, southern ingredients with a twist.  Vegetables play a large role as well as pickling. I love the anecdotes interspersed with the recipes and the homage to the main ingredient that heralds each ingredient list. I finished the book with a deep understanding of the sense of place I taste when I eat Hugh's food.  It's a prize on my shelf, like the oysters of a chicken. (It also has a magnificent inscription)

Hopefully coming soon: A New Turn in the South II: This Time with Fiddleheads.

No comments:

Post a Comment