fiddlehead definition


fid·dle·head [ fídd'l hèd ] (plural fid·dle·heads) noun
Definition: edible fern shoot: the coiled frond of a young fern, often cooked and eaten as a delicacy

Monday, September 12, 2011

Don't tell me coffee is bad for me

Photo taken an Empire State South
Foam artisans, huh?

Last month I tweeted that I was out of coffee and it was an emergency. Three days later a package arrived in the mail from Dean's Beans Organic and Fair Trade Coffee Company. I don't know who sent this to me but I am grateful and am now a huge fan Of Dean's Beans. Go to their page and read about the company-- Organic, shade grown, Kosher, fair-trade AND tastes great. I love that my beans were roasted and shipped on the same day. The superiority of these beans to the familiar coffe shop bag I had on hand was huge.  The Sumatran French roast was deep, dark, very earthy and a bit spicy.  Thank you anonymous friend who sent me the gift of Dean's Beans.



Next I want to try the Marrakesh Express which is described here:
"The fruity taste of wild-harvested Ethiopian Sidamo blended with the passionate bite of Timor make for a strong and mysterious brew. Feel the rhythms in the corners of your mouth ."

I googled and found that I can pick up Dean's Beans right here in Atlanta at Grant Park Coffeehouse
It feels great to purchase coffee and support a company that does so much good. After a bit a research on coffee consumption it also feels great for my health.  Here are the bullet points of the benefits of drinking coffee:
  • lowers the risk of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease (Journal of Alzheimer's Disease (Volume 16:1).
  • lowers the risk of liver cancer and protects one from Cirrhosis (Archives of Internal Medicine)
  • diverts Type 2 Diabetes (Archives of Internal Medicine)
  • protects your heart by lowering the risk of strokes
  • lowers the rate of age related cognitive decline (European Journal of Clinical Nutrition)
  • helps with digestion
  • reduces gallstones
  • increases fiber intake( about 1.8 grams of fiber per cup)
  • gives load of antioxidants (more per serving than blueberries), including flavonoids that protect against cardiovascular disease by reducing oxidation of LDL cholesterol
  • cuts post workout muscle pain by 48% (Journal of Pain 2007)
  • boosts brain power by boosting the activity of brain cells
  • it's delicious (I added this one. My own scientific theory)

No comments:

Post a Comment