fiddlehead definition


fid·dle·head [ fídd'l hèd ] (plural fid·dle·heads) noun
Definition: edible fern shoot: the coiled frond of a young fern, often cooked and eaten as a delicacy

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Spring Fever

This cold winter full of "wintry mix" has me yearning for spring unlike any year I remember. As much as I love comfort food, I have had enough. I want to plant my garden, dig in the earth and eat those foods that only springtime brings. I want to stroll the farmer's market and come home with fresh pea shoots and asparagus. I want to forage for wild ramps and fiddleheads or simply purchase the finds of others.


My hankering became visibly evident as I worked and dreamed at my desk and noticed that my doodling had a theme. Who doodles asparagus? My shopping bags and baskets are ready for the return of the outdoor markets filled with the spoils of Georgia! Why eat local, seasonal food?


  • local food is good for the environment: less of a carbon footprint

  • local food supports your local economy

  • local food is fresher, tastes better and is higher in nutritional value which declines over time. Local foods have ripened on the vine, not in transit.

  • buying local gives you a personal connection to your food <----- my favorite!

  • buying seasonal, local food follows what nature has intended, when it is fresh, abundant and least expensive.

  • local food has more variety. Local farmers play with their crops more and change it up. Ever seen a watermelon radish at your grocery?

  • buying local helps preserve green spaces. Your support helps keep those lovely farms and pastures from being developed.

  • Buying local helps someone living their dream. I live vicariously through many local entrepreneurs who are happily pickling their way through life.

I am really looking forward to the new Grant Park Farmer's Market on Sundays in addition to these:



























































Maybe not a farmer's market per se but it is a pretty cool collective of local talent and yumminess. The Irwin Street Market's community kitchens helped many of my favorite entrepreneurs live their dream.









No comments:

Post a Comment